27.3.13

The Sheffield Shield

OK, I'm gonna come right out and admit something: I don't watch sports. I can count on one hand the number of football games that I have been to. I played T-ball when I was a kid and I hated every second of it. (I used to dig a moat around third base with my foot, I was that bored.)

So, I knew that one day, the time would come when I would have to draw a sports-related cartoon for the Mercury. My initial cartoon idea - on political issues - was rejected and the editor recommended that I do something about the Tigers looking like they'll win the shield.

I had a vague notion that he was talking about some sort of sports thing. After some quick google searching, I figured out that the Tigers are Tasmania's cricket team. And the shield is the Sheffield Shield.

Strangely enough, I'm really happy with how this cartoon turned out. I allowed myself to be a bit messy to reflect the excitement and wildness of the tigers in the crowd.

No comments: